The Truth about Basketball Injuries and Recovery
No matter how long you’ve been playing basketball, or how talented you are, injuries are a fact. It’s not even a question of if; it is simply when will you be injured and how long will you take to recover. Moreover, what will the recovery look like? Many players imagine the worst: immobilization, pain, and lifelong changes to skills and abilities. But are those realistic outcomes?
Common basketball injuries involve the knees, ankles, feet, lower back, and even the eyes. The statistics don’t lie–you’re more likely to be injured during practice or when playing for relaxation than during a competitive game. The good news is that most (around 75%) basketball injuries are relatively minor: strains, sprains, and bruises. The bad news? Of the remaining 25% of injuries sustained during basketball, most required a recovery period of one to three weeks. Only about 3% of all basketball injuries required surgery. It is possible, however, that over time, repeated damage or stress to joints may necessitate surgery, even if there is no single injury sustained during basketball participation.
If you are injured playing basketball, it’s likely you will be directed to see an orthopedic or sports medicine specialist. In addition to rest, there are many interventions a specialist may recommend that can increase your function and overall fitness, allowing you to get back on the court faster. These include:
- Graston Technique©
- Kinesio Taping™
- Tai Chi Classes
- Functional Strength Training
- Electrical Stimulation
- Heat or Cold Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Clinical Exercise
All these treatment options take time; there are no quick fixes. Just like in basketball, there are no shortcuts to developing skills. But, with patience and dedication, an injury while playing basketball doesn’t have to end your playing days. With proper diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation, it’s possible to come back stronger than ever. Request an appointment today to learn about your treatment options if you have experienced an injury on the basketball court.